Centennial, Colorado Family Counselor
Centennial, Colorado Family Counseling Psychologist
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD)
- Eating disorders
- Anxiety disorders
- Mood disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder
- Disruptive behaviors
- School and social issues
Centennial, Colorado Child and Teen Counseling
Types of Child Therapy
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT): This type of therapy helps improve a child’s moods, anxiety, and behavior by examining unhelpful patterns of thinking. During CBT, a child learns to recognize harmful thought patterns and the therapist then helps the child replace this thinking with thoughts that give way to more appropriate feelings and behaviors. In addition to addressing changes in thoughts, your therapist may help your child learn how to modify his behaviors to improve his mood. Research shows that CBT can be effective in treating depression and anxiety as well as children coping with traumatic experiences.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT): This is used to treat older adolescents with chronic suicidal thoughts or who self-harm. DBT can be helpful in teaching emotion regulation and interpersonal effectiveness. This therapy focuses on taking responsibility for one’s problems and helps the teen examine the way they deal with conflict and intense negative feelings.
- Family Therapy: This type of therapy focuses on helping the family function as a unit in more constructive ways by exploring patterns of communication and offering support.
- Play Therapy: For younger children, play is their best form of communication, which is why play therapy involves the use of blocks, dolls, puppets, and drawings to help the child identify and verbalize his or her feelings. The psychotherapist observes how the child uses the toys and identifies themes or patterns to better understand the child’s underlying issues. Through a combination of talk and play the child has an opportunity to more effectively understand and manage their feelings and behavior including anger management.
About Mountain Vista Psychology
At Mountain Vista Psychology in Englewood, CO, the therapy we provide to your child is as invaluable as your support. Our amazing team of family therapists pride themselves on always being accessible to offer parenting support by helping you adjust how you interact with your child and teaching you how to effectively handle difficult behavior. We believe you should also continue discovering new ways to bond with your child and offering positive reinforcements. Just know that we are with you through the entire process as we are determined to help your child makes boundless strides. If you are worried about your child’s mental health, be sure to call us at 720-583-9332 for a free consultation to find out more about what we can do for your child. Your child’s mental health is of major importance to us.