Greenwood Village, Colorado Family Counselor
Greenwood Village, Colorado Family Counseling Psychologist
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD)
- Eating disorders
- Anxiety disorders
- Mood disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder
- Disruptive behaviors
- School and social issues
Greenwood Village, Colorado Child and Teen Counseling
Types of Child Therapy
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT): This type of therapy helps improve a child’s moods, anxiety, and behavior by examining unhelpful patterns of thinking. During CBT, a child learns to recognize harmful thought patterns and the therapist then helps the child replace this thinking with thoughts that give way to more appropriate feelings and behaviors. In addition to addressing changes in thoughts, your therapist may help your child learn how to modify his behaviors to improve his mood. Research shows that CBT can be effective in treating depression and anxiety as well as children coping with traumatic experiences.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT): This is used to treat older adolescents with chronic suicidal thoughts or who self-harm. DBT can be helpful in teaching emotion regulation and interpersonal effectiveness. This therapy focuses on taking responsibility for one’s problems and helps the teen examine the way they deal with conflict and intense negative feelings.
- Family Therapy: This type of therapy focuses on helping the family function as a unit in more constructive ways by exploring patterns of communication and offering support.
- Play Therapy: For younger children, play is their best form of communication, which is why play therapy involves the use of blocks, dolls, puppets, and drawings to help the child identify and verbalize his or her feelings. The psychotherapist observes how the child uses the toys and identifies themes or patterns to better understand the child’s underlying issues. Through a combination of talk and play the child has an opportunity to more effectively understand and manage their feelings and behavior including anger management.
About Mountain Vista Psychology
Based in Englewood, CO, our wonderful family therapists at Mountain Vista Psychology provide invaluable support to your child. Our top-notch team is always available to offer support to parents by helping you alter how you interact with your child and teaching you how to best handle difficult behavior. We also encourage you to discover new ways to connect with your child and offer positive reinforcements. Just remember that we are with you every step of the way as we work together to help your child be a happy and healthy kid again. If you are concerned about your child’s mental health, call us at 720-583-9332 for a free consultation to find out what we can do for your child. After all, your child’s mental health is very important to us.